Save
Busy. Please wait.
or

show password
Forgot Password?

Don't have an account?  Sign up 
or

Username is available taken
show password

why


Make sure to remember your password. If you forget it there is no way for StudyStack to send you a reset link. You would need to create a new account.
We do not share your email address with others. It is only used to allow you to reset your password. For details read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.


Already a StudyStack user? Log In

Reset Password
Enter the associated with your account, and we'll email you a link to reset your password.
focusNode
Didn't know it?
click below
 
Knew it?
click below
Don't know
Remaining cards (0)
Know
0:00
share
Embed Code - If you would like this activity on your web page, copy the script below and paste it into your web page.

  Normal Size     Small Size show me how

BCPS study guide

Fluid electrolytes and nutrition

QuestionAnswer
kcal in 1 gram of dextrose 4.3 kcal/g (3.4 kcal/g if glycerol.)
kcal in 1 gram of lipid 10 kcal/g
kcal in 1 gram of AA 4 kcal/g
maximum concentration of dextrose in PN 10%
max concentration of calcium in PN 5 mEq/L
max concentration of potassium in PN 40 mEq/L
max concentration of AA in PN 4%
max infusion rate of lipid in 2-in-1 PN 0.1 g/kg/hr
urine output target 0.5-2 ml/kg/hr
typical fluid requirement for pt who is not fluid restricted [for PN should only use maintenance NOT replacement] 30-35 ml/kg/day (~2500-3500 ml/day)
For patients with a BMI of <30 what is their daily caloric requirement 25-35 kcal/kg/day using actual body weight
how do you determine caloric requirements for pts with BMI greater than 30 either use actual body weight and do 11-14 kcal/kg/day OR use IBW and do 22-25. some practitioners say use adjusted body weight or the Harris-Benedict equation. hopefully im not expected to have that memorized cuz it aint gonna happen.
amino acid requirements for PN if BMI less than 30 maintenance is 0.8-1 g/kg/day. and depending on stress may need up to 2 g/kg/day.protein requirements inc with increased BMI and renal pts on HD may require higher AA concentrations to maintain nitrogen balance without need less.
how do you calculate the non-protein calories in PN figure that lipid is 20-30% of total daily calories and the rest is dextrose (minus AAs)
amino acid PN requirements for renal failure patients if not on HD or CRRT then do 0.5-1 g/kg/day. if on IHD do 1.2-1.5 g/kg/day. if on CRRT then do 1.5-2 g/kg/day
electrolyte imbalances that are hallmarks of refeeding syndrome hypomag, hypokalemia, hypophos.
prevention strategies for refeeding cut initial caloric intake by 50% of total requirements then advance to goal. supplement prior to initiation of PN. identify risk factors such as anorexia, alcoholism, chronic illness, poor nutrition for 1-2 wks, malabsorption, cancer etc
how does prealbumin levels help in PN if low indicates malnutrition
for every L of D5W given how much remains in the vascular space 100 ml. this is b/c D5W metabolizes to H2O and CO2. therefore acts as free water and goes everywhere.
for every L of NS or LR, how much remains in the vascular space 25%
for every L of albumin how much remains in the vascular space 5% - all of it stays 25% - you get a 5 fold increase due to increased oncotic pressure
how many L of fluid does a typical adult have and how much is in each of the body compartments 42 L approximately. 60% of the total fluid is intracellular. the remaining 40% is extracellular and of that, 75% is interstitial fluid and 25% intravascular extracellular fluid which accounts for ~5L
Created by: mjuhlin
 

 



Voices

Use these flashcards to help memorize information. Look at the large card and try to recall what is on the other side. Then click the card to flip it. If you knew the answer, click the green Know box. Otherwise, click the red Don't know box.

When you've placed seven or more cards in the Don't know box, click "retry" to try those cards again.

If you've accidentally put the card in the wrong box, just click on the card to take it out of the box.

You can also use your keyboard to move the cards as follows:

If you are logged in to your account, this website will remember which cards you know and don't know so that they are in the same box the next time you log in.

When you need a break, try one of the other activities listed below the flashcards like Matching, Snowman, or Hungry Bug. Although it may feel like you're playing a game, your brain is still making more connections with the information to help you out.

To see how well you know the information, try the Quiz or Test activity.

Pass complete!

"Know" box contains:
Time elapsed:
Retries:
restart all cards