Vocabulary to talk about and use the Schaffer Writing Method
|What is a writing process? ||- Steps you take to practice writing
- Successful strategies to better your writing ability
- Procedure you follow when writing|
|How is the writing process structured? ||Step 1: Identify the tasks given in the prompt
Step 2: Brainstorm ideas
Step 3: Outline/Organize your ideas
Step 4: Rough draft
Step 5: Revise your ideas
Step 6: Edit for conventions
Step 7: Rough draft
Step 8: Peer review
Step 9: Final draft (Pu|
|What is an outline? ||- a skeleton for your writing
- a way to organize your ideas
- a structure for your writing|
|What is an introduction? ||- Identifies the genre, title, and author, (when appropriate).
- States topic or overall idea.
In the article “La Paz is the Best Middle School” by Kelley Ghione, the author discusses multiple reasons why her school is the greatest.|
|What is a topic sentence? ||- The first sentence of a paragraph
- Expresses the main idea
|What color is the topic sentence (TS) using the Schaffer Method? ||Blue.|
|What is a Concrete Detail? ||-Stuff from the text
-Support for topic/thesis
- Facts, examples, descriptions, support, proof, evidence, quotations, or specifics|
|What color are Concrete Details (CD) using the Schaffer Method? ||Red.|
|What is Commentary? ||-Stuff from your head
- Your opinion or comment about something. (This shows that...)
- Explanation, opinion, insight, analysis, interpretations, inference, or reflection|
|What color is Commentary (CM) using the Schaffer Method? ||Green.|
|What is a Concluding Sentence? ||- The last sentence in a body paragraph
- It is all commentary and does not repeat key words
- Gives a finished feeling to the paragraph|
|What color is a Concluding Sentence (CS) using the Schaffer Method? ||Blue.|
|What is a ratio? ||When using the Schaffer Writing Method, it is the number of concrete details and commentary in a paragraph.|
|What is a chunk? ||-One sentence of concrete detail & 2 sentences of commentary.
-It is the smallest unified group of thoughts you can write.|
|What are transition words? ||- They connect phrases together in a sentence.
- They are used to make things like essays sound and flow better.
First, second, next, then, such as, as a result, to sum it up, in conclusion, and etc.|
|What is academic language? ||- The kind of language used in classrooms, lectures, textbooks, and tests.
analyze, justify, compare, contrast, summarize, examine, specify, clarify, critique, describe, illustrate, identify, and etc.|